RULES AND REGULATIONS FOR AFIA 2009
SUBMISSION ELIGIBILY, PROCEDURES & DEADLINES
1. Submission to the Festival is open for short films and debut feature films that have been completed after Jan. 1, 2007.
2. The Festival will not accept: a) previews; b) advertising or promotional films of any kind; c) excerpts from feature-length films; d) TV programs; e) films previously rejected by the festival; f) films containing defamatory, obscene, unlawful or objectionable material.
3. All films in a language other than English must have English subtitles.
4. The applicant must own all the rights and obtain all clearances for the submission. This applies to all projects, including school projects.
5. Applicants under 18 years of age must obtain permission of a legal guardian or parent before entering the festival. A parent or legal guardian will than be held legally responsible for the young filmmaker's participation, entry fee payment and any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, or royalty infringement related to the content of the work.
6. A film of any genre, form or style may be submitted in one of the following categories:
- One-Reelers - up to 15 min. in length
- Short Fiction - between 15 and 40 min. in length
- Debut Feature – fiction or documentary, 41 min. or longer
The regular deadline is Dec. 25, 2008
. Here the entry fee is US $25, except for entries from Nordic countries (Denmark, Greenland, Aland Islands, Faroe Islands, Sweden, Norway, Iceland, Finland), in which case the entry fee is waived. If the filmmaker is under 18 years of age, a parent or guardian can apply in writing to AFIA for exemption from the entry fee.
8. To enter a film, an electronic registration form at www.withoutabox.com must be filled out.
Nordic films must be registered at the AFIA homepage. Upon successful online registration, a tracking number is automatically generated.
9. When a film is sent in to the Festival, it should be accompanied by the following:
- A completed, and duly signed Festival Authorization (not necessary if submitted via withoutabox.com)
- Two DVD (PAL/NTSC, region 0 or 2) preview copies of the film, with no extra material (such as “Navigation from main menu”) on the DVDs. The DVDs must be labeled with:
- the tracking number provided at online registration
- the film title and length of the film
- the director’s name and email address
- the category in which you are submitting your film
- A Press Kit (preferably in electronic form on a separate DVD or CD-Rom)
- One or two stills. Digital photos should be included in the Press Kit in the following formats: Size 10 x 15 cm, minimum 1181 x 1772 pixels / 300 dpi resolution, JPEG (maximized) or TIFF.
The above-mentioned material must be sent to:
NoPop Media (AFIA)
8260 Viby J
The package must be fully pre-paid by the sender and labeled "NO COMMERCIAL VALUE, FOR CULTURAL PURPOSES ONLY." The value indicated on the package should be no more than “US $10.”
10. None of the materials sent to AFIA will be returned, and the Festival does not accept or assume responsibility for damage to or loss of materials submitted, while on route through the mail.
Download AFIA Film Festival Rules and Regulations
in .pdf format.